I find it to be a useful exercise to make a note of where I’m starting from, so I can figure out what I need to tackle. I’ll use a few days worth of time to journal these.
Here’s the health basics:
I’m currently 48, male. 5’11”. My last weigh-in was 291 lbs at just about 42% fat (according to a Withings scale). Mostly Italian, big build, built for field work as one friend once said.
Pros (there aren’t many):
- Um… I’m physically strong, for someone so out of shape.
- Thanks to years of pain I have a decent pain tolerance.
- I look sort of youthful? I have a full head of hair, which is good for 48. And with the exception of a 20 or so grey hairs, the rest are black.
- My skin is in decent shape.
- Based on my last blood tests, my cholesterol, vitamins, and general blood health was pretty good.
Cons (brace yourself, this make take a while):
- Well, yeah, overweight. A lot.
- Diabetes Type 2. That’s a fairly recent diganosis. Right now if I take my meds (currently 2x a day of 1000 mg Metformin, and once a day Januvia) my morning fasting glucose is averaging around 150-175. That’s not great, but it’s better than where it was when I first learned about the Diabetes a few months ago – it was then around 400. Yikes.
- I have two herniated discs in my neck (the two lowest ones). This means a lot of the time I have annoying pain, coupled with numbness and pins and needles in the right arm. At it’s worst it’s crippling pain. I’ve sort of gotten used to being in some pain, there, all of the time. I talked to a specialist, who showed me the MRIs. She said I needed an opinion of a surgeon, which is where I left off.
- My eyes lose some vision/close up ability from time to time due to the Diabetes. I also recently had a bout with corneal ulcers and a bad eye infection. The optho gave my drugs to clear that up, and I’m on a much more aggressive regime to change my daily lenses.
- I have some intermittent pain and numbness in my feet (mostly the left foot), again, probably due to circulation and numbness.
- My lack of fitness makes sexual activity problematic sometimes. I also get intermittent erectile dysfunction, probably due to everything above, and me behind in head wondering if it’s going to work or not this time.
- My right ring finger had a trigger finger condition. It was operated on and released, but it’s still stiff and in pain. At least it’s not locked!
- I get a lot cramping in my sides and feet, probably due to the above issues.
- Besides the foot cramping, and the numbness, some of my toes on the left also hurt some of the time. But let’s face it – my constant pounding gate of near 300 lbs hasn’t helped, I’m sure.
- While I haven’t checked in years, I’m sure I still have fatty liver. I had it once, and since I’ve not lost any weight, I probably still do.
- I have a few dental problems. I have a broken crow, which I now have replaced with a temporary. I also have two teeth missing on the left, both of which could use implants. It would improve things a lot if I had them fixed.
- The last time I had it checked, my testosterone was “normal for a guy my age”, i.e., low.
- I have had a few really debilitating legs cramps – where it feels like my calf is tearing off in my sleep.
What I did today: nothing, worked, this journal.